Reset Password

Your search results

Castillo Militar San Carlos

| 1 Guests | 0 Bedrooms| 0 Baths
Check Availability

Castillo Militar San Carlos

King Felipe III ordered the construction of a tower at the express request of the merchants, through the Gran and General Consell institution. This marks the beginning of the architectural ensemble. They entered by a drawbridge using the only gateway. The costs of the construction reached 12,000 GBP, of which 5,000 were paid by the university of Mallorca, 5,000 were paid by the crown and the other 2,000 were charged to the School of Merchants.

The construction took place between 1610 and 1612 and the tower was built in the original place of the old Porto Pi lighthouse.

The tower was constructed due to the necessity to defend the maritime area and especially the zone of Porto Pi, which in the 17th century was the natural port of the city of Palma, from the continued attacks from pirates and barbarians that invaded the Mediterranean.

The tower presents a tetragonal with a bastion at each corner. The material used is sandstone, which you can see in many parts of the construction, showing marks done by the artisans who constructed it.

According to some historians, the name of the castle comes from viceroy of Mallorca Carles Coloma. Half a century after the construction and before the need to increase the staffing of the castle and its material, in 1662 and with Felipe IV they broached the construction of the enlargement of the second phase that was done by the ilustrous military engineer D. Vicente Mut. The fortress presents a keystone form, with four large bastions that give this peculiar shape. In the 19th century there is the third and final reformation of the forming of a coast battery with four Ordoñez canons 24 size.

During the 20th century the castle has diverse uses as a hospital, prison offices, save battery, and from 1981 military museum. Since 1997 it forms part of the consortium San Carlos Castle.

 

ROOMS
Room 1. Llorente collection Room 2. The French of Cabrera Room 3a. General Weyler Room 3b. Defense Towers Room 3c. Uniformity: 60 years of history. Vexilogy Room 4. 20th century Room 5. Balearic slingers. Nuredduna Room 6. Temporary exhibitions Room 7. Reforming Room 8. Artillery Room 9. Guard of Volunteers Regiment of Palma 1808 Room 10. The origin of Porto Pi Tower

THE MUSEUM TIMETABLE
From 10:00h. to 14:00h.
Tuesday to Sunday Monday and festives are closed.
BUS EMT LINE 1 Airport-Port (Plaza España—San Carlos Castle)

CONTACT DATA
C/ Dique del Oeste s/n – 07015 Palma
T. +34 971 402 145
www.museomilitarsancarlos.com
museomilitarsancarlos@et.mde.es

View more
Property Address
Address: C/ Dique del Oeste s/n – 07015 Palma
City:
Country: Spain
Property Details
Property ID: 3909
Property Features
Kitchen
Internet
Smoking Allowed
TV
Wheelchair Accessible
Elevator in Building
Indoor Fireplace
Heating
Essentials
Doorman
Pool
Washer
Hot Tub
Dryer
Gym
Free Parking on Premises
Wireless Internet
Pets Allowed
Family/Kid Friendly
Suitable for Events
Non Smoking
Phone (booth/lines)
Projector(s)
Bar / Restaurant
Air Conditioner
Scanner / Printer
Fax

Availability

April 2021
MDMDFSS
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930 
Mai 2021
MDMDFSS
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31 
past
today
booked

On the Map

Book Now

Add to Favorites
Contact Owner
Share
Contact Owner